Program Support Specialist
We are a youth service organization that welcomes all. We strive to improve student lives: body, mind and spirit through after school activities including homework help, life skills building, arts and academic enrichment, as well as social and recreation opportunities.
Job Purpose: Program Support Specialist is responsible for providing safe, enriching, supervised activities to youth in grades 6-8.
Position: Part time, hourly, non-exempt
Rate of Pay: $10.00 per hour
Direct Supervision received from: Program Coordinator, CCLC Director
Description of Duties
- Provide a safe and enriching environment where all 6th-8th grade students are welcome.
- Facilitate/supervise daily recreation, snack preparation/service, homework assistance, learning center activities, and technology use.
- Facilitate student sign in/out for program attendance as well as maintain records for learning center session attendance.
- Assist Program Coordinator with snack menu planning and shopping for food and supplies as needed.
- Submit to and clear necessary background checks.
- Have own reliable transportation.
- Commit to at least one semester/school year in the position.
- Ability to work after school hours until 6:00 PM on week days. Other hours may be flexible as needed for program.
- Participate in team building, staff meetings and professional development as required.
- Participate with program evaluation processes.
- Balance appropriate relationships to students with authority to maintain a safe environment.
- Answer site phone and direct calls appropriately.
- Follow procedures for incident/injury reports.
- Work closely with program coordinator to convey ongoing program/activity information to students.
- Understand and follow emergency procedures.
- Able to take on other tasks as needed and required by the position as assigned by the site coordinator including snack preparation, set up and clean up procedures.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree desired. Must have high school diploma or equivalency.
- Knowledge of Indiana Academic and After School Standards
- Must be able to lead and work with a diverse group of youth
- Must be able to lead and assist educational enrichment activities
- Ability to work with students on a large group, small group and individual basis
- Effective verbal, presentation and listening communication skills
- Effective written communication skills
- Able to use standard office equipment and computer software including spreadsheets, word processing, and project management tools.
- Able to use standard kitchen equipment including a stove, sink and microwave.
- Proven ability to work in a team atmosphere and independently
- Must be able to change focus as needed
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to shift easily from high energy activities to lower energy activities and vice a versa.
- Honest and trustworthy
- Creative and high energy
- Accountable and reliable
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Sound work ethics
- Physical Demands: The Program Support Specialist may deliver support services in a variety of locations and may have to transport, lift and carry equipment and supplies. The Program Support Specialist will spend long hours transitioning from high energy, high physically demanding activities to standing and sitting. These activities may cause muscle strain.
- Environmental Conditions: The Program Support Specialist will manage a number of projects at one time, and may be interrupted frequently to meet the needs of students. The Program Support Specialist may find the environment to be busy and noisy, and will need excellent organizational and time management skills to complete required tasks.
- Sensory Demands: Sensory demands include the use of the computer, which may cause eye strain and occasional headaches. Activities and programs may be noisy and busy making it difficult to concentrate
- Mental Demands: The Program Support Specialist deals with youth and families who can, from time to time, be demanding and challenging. The Program Support Specialist must remain patient and committed to the mission of the organization, and may have to engage in conflict resolution or crisis management at times.